A plumbing snake is a great tool to help you unclog drains that are clogged with hair, soap scum, and other debris. It can also be used to clear slow-running drains without the use of harsh chemicals. Plumbing in Quakertown, PA, can be tricky and a plumbing snake is an invaluable tool.
In this guide, we will walk you through everything you need to know about using a plumbing snake. We will cover how to set up the snake and the safety precautions you should consider before using it. With the right technique, a plumbing snake can make your clogged drain problems a thing of the past!
How To Set Up Plumbing Snake:
Before you can use a plumbing snake, it must be properly set up:
1. Connect the plumbing snake to the power source. The snake should be plugged into a GFCI-protected outlet or connected to an extension cord and GFCI-protected outlet if needed.
2. Attach the cable at the end of the snake to its handle. Tighten the set screw on top of the handle to secure it in place.
3. Feed the cable down through your drain line until it reaches the clog or blockage you need to clear out. Be sure that it is positioned as far down as possible so that you can access every part of your drain’s walls with it when running it back out through your pipe system. Snaking drains in Quakertown, PA should be done by a professional plumber if your problem is especially tough to handle.
4. Turn on the power source and activate the switch on the handle of the snake to make it rotate. Move the snake around in your plumbing system until you feel resistance or hear a loud scraping noise that indicates the clog has been removed.
5. Turn off the power source and retract the cable back up through your drain line. Once the cable is free from your plumbing system, remove it from its handle and store it in a safe place for future use.
You now know how to set up a plumbing snake. Be sure to use caution when using this tool, as it can damage your pipes if mishandled.
1. Always wear safety glasses when using a plumbing snake to protect your eyes from debris that may fly off the cable.
2. Wear thick gloves to protect yourself from the sharp edges of the cable as it moves through your drains.
3. Never force the cable into tight spaces or corners, as this can cause damage to your pipes or even break them in some cases.
4. Always unplug the power source before trying to retrieve the cable or making any adjustments to the handle of the snake.
5. If you are uncomfortable using a plumbing snake on your own, contact a local Quakertown plumber for assistance with clearing difficult clogs and blockages in drains and pipes safely and effectively.
Using a plumbing snake is not difficult, but with the right precautions and technique, you can ensure that your drain problems are taken care of quickly and safely. Now you know how to set up a plumbing snake and what safety measures to take when using it.
If you ever need any assistance with unclogging drains or pipes, don’t hesitate to contact the team at American Home Comfort, LLC for professional advice and service that will get your home running like new again in no time. We want to make sure that your plumbing system is always taken care of!
Call us today at 610-960-9375 for reliable plumbing services or to schedule a plumbing inspection in Quakertown, PA!